Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Christmas family traditions

Everybody has different traditions, and growing up we slowly realize this. Traditions are a huge part of what creates the spirit of Christmas. Having the privilege to join in on another family's holiday is a wonderful feeling - but nothing beats the things you were raised doing around this time of the year. 

I'm going to share with you a few of my family's Christmas traditions.

  • Baking sugar cookies - Ever since I can remember my mom has had an amazing sugar cookie dough recipe. Bringing up the tin of cut outs from the basement. We'd cut 'em out, add various sprinkles and cookie additions, cook them up, and BAM! Best cookies you've ever had. 
  • Jim Reeves - My paternal grandma would always play Jim Reeves around the holidays. My grandpa passed this tradition along throughout the years after she had died, and now that grandpa's gone - my dad's taken over. I can't explain the feeling this particular song gives me.
  • Fake Christmas tree - Pulling out the pieces from the huge box, separating the branches, making sure you've connected the right color coordinated pieces. You can thank my brother for this, as his allergies would mess with any real tree in the house. No - I wasn't using sarcasm font. I literally thank him for this. I just can't warm up to a real tree the way I can our same tree used since I can remember. 
  • Christmas eve with the faja - On Christmas eve we'd head over to my Grandpa's house and enjoy the holiday with my dad's side. I miss that Detroit house so much. The shy approach to my cousins and grandpa, black and white christmas movie on TV, the corner my cousin Kayleigh and I would hide and play in, the smell of cigarette smoke (yes - I loved it. No idea why), and investigating the house with my cousin. Each year we'd learn something new. "Who's that in the picture with Uncle Rick on the wall?" His 42nd wife Micaela, don't talk about it. "What's downstairs...monsters?!" No Micaela, the entrance to the empty second floor. "Why is grandpa's toilet and bathtub pastel green?" I don't know, get out of there Micaela. Ohh how I miss those days
  • Christmas day with the madre - Christmas day we'd hit up my grandparent's house and enjoy spending time with my mother's side. My cousins and I picked a santa or elf hat and passed out Christmas gifts. The older cousins would hangout in the laundry room during this time. This is because us elfs are way too cool for them. Or maybe annoying? Haha. Even though personally I don't follow religion (on the contrary, I do have morals), standing up before the meal and hearing grandpa say grace was always special. No giggles allowed! Luckily grandpa has a hearing aid - enough said. 
  • The Christmas parade - In our small town we'd always join in on the parade. Either through band, girl scouts/boy scouts, dance, or walking around with another group. Santa was at city hall afterwards, which really was something else. He'd be at the top, so you never knew if it really was Santa after all or an imposter. I liked to believe he was the real Santa, and always did.


This year is so much different. Depressing. I'm not spending it with family for reasons I'd rather not get into. I'm here in my boyfriends basement, waiting for him to return from work each day only for him to hop on the computer and start gaming. No sugar cookies, Jim Reeves through YouTube alone, no tree, no more seeing dad's side, I'm not welcome to my mother's side, and I can't complain that I no longer live in the tiny town I grew up in. I love the city life. 

Join in on the fun - take a challenge! 

16 comments:

  1. Be a pal and share this amazing sugar cookie recipe. Our family has the tradition of making sugar cookies, taking a bite, and then throwing them away. haha. Great blog!

    Brittney
    http://www.bsknees.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I'll definitely post the recipe just for you soon!
      c:

      Delete
  2. I'm sorry to hear that your Christmas isn't going to be as traditional as you would expect! I've had two Christmas's like that, one when I lived in France and my parents went to visit my brother in Australia, and one when I was in England but my parents went to Oz again so I had to spend it with my friend at her house, which was horrible! All the family moments etc. I'm not sure the conditions that yours are under - but whatever it is, I hope you are okay.

    Hope you have a great one, regardless.

    Corinne x
    www.skinnedcartree.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, it means a lot to see others care and can relate. <3
      I hope your holidays are going good!

      Delete
  3. I love fake christmas trees too! No mess! Thankyouuu...They look so real now anyways, it doesn't really matter! Sorry to the real tree snobs...Christmas sugar cookies are a must! I also pull Christmas Crackers with my family at our Christmas Eve dinner. It's a tradition we picked up from our 6 years living in England! Take a look:
    http://livingincolormom.com/christmas-crackers/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christmas trees are special when they're the same one each year.
      I'll definitely check that out, sounds interesting!

      Delete
  4. Sorry to hear your Christmas is more on the depressing side this year. I can definitely relate. Hope it gets better for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Deanna, I hope yours gets better. <3

      Delete
  5. Maybe you can create new traditions! Thanks for linking up! Honesty is refreshing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is actually my first year making Christmas cards!
      I had fun with this challenge. c:

      Delete
  6. I am sorry to hear about it . But I hope your Christmas will be merry :)
    Noor | Noor's Place

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Noor. <3
      I hope your holidays are merry as well.

      Delete
  7. I hope you can still find Christmas feeling in your heart! Maybe take a walk and enjoy all the decorated windows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's actually a great idea! I think I'll ask my boyfriend if he'd like to one night. c:

      Delete
  8. Love traditions! We would go with a fake christmas tree before but recently my parents opted for a real tree. But this year is fake tree. hehe.
    I hope you feel better and be happy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm guessing you're a fake tree person as well then? c:
      Thanks, I'm creating new traditions this year!

      Delete