Friday, December 27, 2013

Interview with a hooper - Olivia

Hooper Interview - Olive Oyl

Olivia is a well known Detroit hooper. She's talented with hoop dancing, fire arts, Cyr wheel, and much  more! You can check out her YouTube channel for some awesome videos. One of her videos is actually what inspired me to start hooping myself! 
She also owns her own business Harmonic Hoops with amazing practice, performance, and fire hoops. But wait! That's not all! If you're looking for the perfect hoop attire, check out her Etsy shop Harmonic Threads.



What influenced you to start hooping?
I saw other girls hooping at music festival in Detroit and I was mesmerized. I asked if I could try and I was instantly hooked.
What made you stuck in the hoop zone?
I stuck in the hoop zone because it felt amazing! It was good exercise since I was working an office job at the time.

How long have you been hooping?
I have been hooping 5.5 years. May 2008 is when I started.

What's the first trick you remember accomplishing?
The first trick I remember accomplishing was the lift up from my waist up into halo.

Do you consider it a hobby, or a career?
It is 100% my career now. It didn't start out that way, but because of the hoop I run 2 of my own businesses that are supported by the large hoop community. 

If you could choose anywhere in the world, where would you hoop?
New Zealand!

Do you prefer to make your own or purchase custom made hoops?
I make my own hoops. I run a fire hoop company called Harmonic Hoops, where I make regular hoops and fire hoops. I order my LEDs from other companies since I don't make those.














Have you performed - if so what was your favorite gig? 
I perform for a living on top of my two businesses. My favorite was the whole Shpongle US Tour I was picked to do in summer 2011.

What advice do you give those eager to start the art of hula hoop dancing?
Don't give up and don't be afraid to exaggerate your movements!! Everyone looks a little dumb at first. (;


3 comments:

  1. awesome post.

    COME JOIN THE BLOG HOP http://pinkowl07.blogspot.com/2013/12/tgif-hop.htm Share with your friends please.

    ReplyDelete