Friday, January 31, 2014

Adventures with the foreign exchange student

      Back in 2010 I moved from downriver back to my old town. This meant spending junior year in my old high school with old friends. I was not too enthused about this. One day at lunch I went to talk to a few friends, and noticed an unfamiliar face sitting with them. Keep in mind this town is small, so everybody basically knows eachother. He had big bloodshot eyes. Of course back then my first reaction was to ask if he was high. His response "No, I'm just from Brazil". Bahahaha. This is how my friendship with Lucas, the foreign exchange student, began.


      I was on juvenile probation at the time so had limited freedom. Which meant hanging out at my house. When we did, we had a tea party and a photo shoot on the trampoline.


      When my family took a trip to Dave & Busters I decided to bring Lucas along. I was obsessed with DDR (dance dance revolution) at the time and thought this was the perfect opportunity to show off. To my surprise, Mr.Brazil was a pro and I stopped in shock mid song.

     During lunch at school, I had told him I was going to get a beverage and asked if he wanted one. It was hilarious to me, because he had no idea what "beverage" meant.

      I have a long note he wrote me back in school of english sayings translated to Portuguese. The one phrase I never forgot was "Eu Ti Amo" (spelling may be a bit off). This means I love you.

14 comments:

  1. Aww! Sounds like he was fun to hang around. Do you still keep in touch? My aunt and uncle always had exchange students when my cousins were young and I was so jealous. Not to mention that I always wanted to be one :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. its great you had that kind of friendship. the kind you will never forget. Do you keep in touch? talk online, email etc. I'm always up for keeping in touch with people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure do, via Facebook of course. :P

      Delete
  3. Amiga texto maravilhoso amei.fotos lindas sucesso.
    Blog: http://arrasandonobatomvermelho.blogspot.com.br

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you still keep in touch? I'm having an italian exchange student here this month and I'm so excited!
    By the way, it's spelled "Eu te amo" in portuguese brazilian so that was a close shot :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We still talk via Facebook.
      Thanks for the spelling correction! Hehe.

      Delete
  5. That sounds like a really great friendship! I wish I had more International friends, because it just broadens my perspective on things and I get to learn about different cultures! :)

    www.callmemaddie.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was interesting learning about his culture. c:

      Delete
  6. We had a Chinese exchange student live with us for a month when I was in highschool

    ReplyDelete
  7. "if he was high"! Haha :D! My hubby spent one year as an exchange student in Canada when he was young. It must have been great :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That'd be an awesome adventure to be a foreign exchange student!

      Delete