Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Common hula hooping questions answered


Where can I purchase an adult fitness hula hoop?
If you're looking local, Target has weighted hoops for getting started on your journey of fitness. Keep in mind you want to avoid getting a 5lb hoop. Imagine having a 5lb weight banging against your body over and over, that can't be healthy. The best place to purchase a hoop is through Hoopnotica. They have a variety of hoops. Weighted, collapsible travel size, polypro, and even minis for those into the art of poi!

Where can I find local hoopers?
hooping.org is a social network to find local hoopers, and even start up a local hoop jam.

Can I lose weight hula hooping?
Personally I lost over 100 pounds. You can view other success stories on Hoopnotica's site, click here.

Where can I find good quality supplies to make my own hoop?
Sick of the tubing at your local home depot? Check out HoopSupplies for a variety of goods. Tubing, tapes, and even the proper couplings. Be sure to mention micaelaadwell@gmail.com referred you!
MoodHoops also has a variety of decor tapes.

Why am I bruising?
If you're bruising, you're doing it right. Weight difference between weighted and polypro hoops is significant. Knee hooping will definitely do the trick when it comes to leaving some bruises. Think of them as your golden star for success, haha.

What clothing should I wear while hooping?
Natural fibers help cling to the hoop. Where as shiny old dance outfits won't do, and make it harder to keep friction between yourself and your hoop. Lycra and cotton are 2 major fabrics known to be "hoop attire". Stay away from silks and polyester materials. Getting a hoop sanded on the inside or made with gaffer tape help keep friction.  

Have a question not answered? Feel free to shoot me an email!

11 comments:

  1. Oooh! Thanks for sharing all of this! You've gotten me really interested now!

    Elyse @ Cuddly as a Cactus

    ReplyDelete
  2. oooh I am so putting this on my list! Got to try new things :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did not know you could bruise. So interesting! Also opened my eyes about the clothes to wear. Fab post!
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am definitely, in the very near future, getting a hoop. It seems like such a fun way to exercise ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely fun!
      Be sure to let me know when you do!!

      Delete
  5. Thank you SO MUCH for this. I was actually planning on buying a hoop at my NEX, but I would much rather get a kit from hoopnotica, for sure.
    I've been really bummed that there isn't a roller rink in my area so I'm hoping that I'll love hooping just as much!

    ReplyDelete