Tuesday, January 14, 2014

DIY Hula Hoop



I've had a lot of comments on hooping, and even some with interest in starting themselves. In result of the inspiration, today I'm going to share how to make your own adult fitness hula hoop.


What you need:
PVC cutter
160 psi, 3/4 inch flexible tubing
3/4 inch coupling
Electrical tape
*Hair Dryer






























Note: You can find tubing and a proper fitting coupling at your local lowes or home depot in the plumbing aisle for much cheaper. 

- Use PVC cutter to cut anywhere from 34 inches to 40 inches in diameter.

- Start up hair dryer and heat up one end. After about a minute, push coupling no more than half way inside the one end.


- Heat up other end of hoop. After warm enough, take the end and push it to fit the coupling securely fit to create a closing with the opposite end.
Note: This part is trickiest. It can take a good half hour+ at times depending on the tubing and size coupling of choice. 

- Once both ends are secure, wrap a few layers of electrical tape at the crack to secure and avoid having a "crack" in part of your hoop. This can get annoying while trying to do certain tricks.

Voila! You now have an adult size fitness hula hoop!

Want to decorate your new hula hoop?
For some nice quality tapes along with grip tape, click here
Other tapes such as duct tape and electrical will do the job also. Keep in mind duct tape tends to wear much easier. For a simple grib, just sand the inside of your hoop with 80 grit sandpaper. 

If using duct tape - Make one loop around the inside/outter edge and tear. Repeat going along your hoop until finished. This takes time and patience, but worth it in the end. My first hoop I used hello kitty duct tape, and it came out beautiful!

If using electrical tape - You can get crafty with this due to the flexibility. From simple loops to waves, it's up to you.

Inspiration



















Feel free to ask any additional questions! 

18 comments:

  1. Woah, thanks so much for posting this! I'm totally going to make one of these to use in my apartment. It's too cold to run right now and I could really use a fun, active hobby! Can't wait to get myself to the Home Depot to buy materials!

    Elyse @ Cuddly as a Cactus

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! You should definitely post it on your blog when you're done. I'd love to see. c:

      Delete
  2. This is so exciting! Can you share a workout you do as well?!

    xoxo Laur

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooooh thank you so much for sharing this!!! Even though I have the one I ordered coming in, I really want to try making one! Decorating it sounds so fun! I'll post photos of mine too when I do it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You actually inspired this to make this post. My sister already had a good quality hoop when I made one myself. It's never fun only having the one you made while owning a pro made one. So it'll be a win win. I'd love to see it when it's done!!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks Noor, hope you make your own hoop! c:

      Delete
  5. Whoa, thank you very much for this DIY post! I would surely love to try out some hula hooping, especially with my own hoop! Sounds fun! :)

    www.callmemaddie.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. thats great !! very creative :) xx
    www.ambifashion.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. that is so awesome! i wouldn't have known where to start. hahaha this is an excellent exercise to do both inside and out. no excuses.
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ain't that the truth, haha.
      Thanks Kim!

      Delete
  8. This is awesome! I've always wanted to try making my own hula hoop! Also, we're Books 'n' Bloggers partners! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you do, be sure to share! I'd love to see it!
      I'm excited were books n bloggers partners!! We have so much in common when it comes to preferred genres!

      Delete
  9. I think I could try this! Doesn't seem too hard :)

    ReplyDelete