Thursday, January 2, 2014

Interview with a hooper - Cynthia

Cynthia is a Metro Detroit hoop dancer. With much success in hooping, poi, and fire arts. You can view her skills on her YouTube channel







What influenced you to start hooping?
I had been looking for a hobby for awhile when I saw a girl hooping at the park one day. It was my first encounter with the amazing plastic circle that would become such a huge part of my life in the years to come. In that moment I just knew, as I watched that girl dancing and flowing with her hoop, that this was exactly what I had been searching for. 

What made you stuck in the hoop zone?
At first it was purely motivation, the motivation to learn and to attempt to replicate the beautiful flow and vast array of tricks that I had seen displayed by other hoopers. However, as I started to grow as a hooper and establish a solid skill-set for myself I began to turn to the hoop for far different reasons: to clear my mind and release stress, to entertain others, and to enjoy the happiness that hooping brought me.  


How long have you been hooping?
I started hooping in June of 2011, so about 2 ½ years now. 

What's the first trick you remember accomplishing?
A lasso-up from the waist. 

Do you consider it a hobby, or a career?

Hooping is definitely just a hobby for me at this point. I have done some performing, and I continue to do so on a small scale, but only as a side job. As much as I would love to do it as a career, I have carpal tunnel and it really does a lot to limit me in that aspect. 

If you could choose anywhere in the world, where would you hoop?
Venice, Italy



Do you prefer to make your own or purchase custom made hoops?
I generally prefer to buy them custom made. I order most of my standard hoops from Hippie Hoops. I am also very partial to the fire hoops made by Synergy, which is the type of fire hoop I use currently.


Have you performed - if so what was your favorite gig? 
I have. My favorite gig was, and probably always will be, the haunted house I started spinning fire for in October of 2012. It was my very first experience performing in front of a large group of people. It was where I started, and as a result of that I think I will always have a special place in my heart for it. I still remember blowing out the last wick after my very first burn, and looking out at all of the people standing there. There were a few seconds of complete stunned silence, and then I watched as they all erupted into cheers and applause. I can’t even begin to explain the joy and pride that I felt in that moment, as if everything I was working towards had finally begun to mean something. 

What advice do you give those eager to start the art of hula hoop dancing?
Stay positive, and never judge yourself too harshly. Know that you’re always good enough, and don’t let anyone or anything make you feel differently. If you just stay dedicated and practice hard, you’ll surprise even yourself with the things that you can accomplish.




6 comments:

  1. I love the one with lights! Or it just looks like lights! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's actually fire. :D Haha.
      I'm not personally the photographer, but I'm sure they would greatly appreciate it!!

      Delete
  2. Lovely ..

    http://worldfashionstyle.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know a couple of people that do this but I've never seen it! Can't wait to go to her channel and take a look :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love hooping - it's great exercise too!!
      Cynthia is definitely one of the best, her channel is one to look into for sure. c:

      Delete