Sunday, February 2, 2014

Mad girls love song

      One of my favorite poets is by far Sylvia Plath. Born in 1932, and first published at the age of 8-years-old. Her favorite poem of mine is Mad Girls Love Song.



"I shut my eyes and all the world drops dead;
I lift my lids and all is born again.
I think I made you up inside my head. 

The stars go waltzing out in blue and red,
And arbitrary blackness gallops in:
I shut my eyes and all the world drops dead.

I dreamed that you bewitched me into bed
And sung me moon-struck, kissed me quite insane.
I think I made you up inside my head.

God topples from the sky, hell's fires fade:
Exit seraphim and Satan's men:
I shut my eyes and all the world drops dead.

I fancied you'd return the way you said,
But I grow old and I forget your name.
I think I made you up inside my head.

I should have loved a thunderbird instead;
At least when spring comes they roar back again.
I shut my eyes and all the world drops dead.
I think I made you up inside my head"

After watching her autobiography, I realized what this poem was probably about. 
What's your thoughts on the poem?

10 comments:

  1. not much on poetry. but sometimes I wish I could randomly come up with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the way poets flow with their words. c:

      Delete
  2. What I love about poems is that it usually takes time to really understand the meaning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! It can mean a million things but actually mean a whole different thing by the author. c:

      Delete
  3. I adore Sylvia Plath, have you read 'The Bell Jar'? Her poetry is just so beautiful and often so melancholy. Love this post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kate, I haven't read it but do have it. c:

      Delete
  4. Those are beautiful words!

    http://www.ourlifeisbeautiful.com/

    ReplyDelete