Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Back track

   
      Growing up I was always a fast runner. As a kid I had some awesome black and neon green Nikes, and honestly thought they'd make me run faster. My siblings and I grew up in the country land, so I was always running all over the yard, to the pond, and of course to the bus before I missed it. The bus driver always mentioned to my mom throughout the years how I'm going to be a track legend.


      Field day was always my "thing". The races would get me piled up with blue first place ribbons. I loved it! At least one lunch lady would tell me to join track in middle school. Of course I planned to, I was the best, right?

      7th grade came. I was finally able to join track! I remember one of my first races was the kind where you pass the baton to the next person and so on. There were four in each group. I was so nervous! 2nd to last runner, I grabbed the baton and took off. Passed up everybody in front of me and felt amazing! As I go to pass the baton my partner grabbed it too tightly and too fast causing me to crash...onto the track...and slam down on my face. Looking like an idiot.


      However, this didn't stop me from running. I kept on keeping on. 8th grade came and I eventually quit. Started smoking cigarettes, and gained some weight. I do regret this, highly regret this! Knowing I could have been a great sprinter is something I always keep in mind. 

16 comments:

  1. Man, I know that deal. I was the fastest female runner (sprinting and distance) in my elementary and middle school up until the point when I hit puberty. My hips and boobs got huge and I gained a bunch of weight :/ I know it can't be helped, but it's a bummer to think, "ahh, I could have been great." I guess the real thing is finding what you can become great at with what you have :)

    Elyse @ Cuddly as a Cactus

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have a lot in common in that aspect.
      I agree with focusing on what you can become great at. c:
      However, I believe one can achieve anything they put their mind to. Cliche, but true.

      Delete
  2. Ha! Great story. I had plenty of faceplants back in the tennis days and wish I could have made gifs of myself doing that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohh geeze, if only I had a gif of this moment! Haha.

      Delete
  3. LMAO!!! OmG, that last one was to die for! I love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I kind of know how you feel, I wish I had kept up with swimming... But I didn't... Got fat... and now and blogging about it. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bahahhaa, I hear ya!
      You can always take up swimming again though. c:

      Delete
  5. I can relate... Never too late to start running again, though. Right?!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That last gif is too funny!

    http://blushserenity.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I remember that episode of AFV too hehe.

      Delete
  7. Best post. I laughed so hard at your story and paired with that gif... hahahaa. gold. I haven't stacked it in years,but as I get older I think the funnier it will be.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I feel this way about music. I was a very accomplished clarinetist and stopped playing so seriously once I graduated high school. While I do play now, I always wonder what would've happened if I had become a clarinet performance major.

    ReplyDelete