Sunday, March 30, 2014

That day I finally asked myself "what the crap happened to Pluto anyways?"

      So we've all heard about Pluto no longer being a planet in the media since 2006. Isn't it hilarious that something so serious and scientific has been a huge media star and meme legend? Anyways, I had my laughs, and now I'm curious. What did happen to Pluto? 

      Let's rewind. 1930, Clyde Tombaugh discovered the dwarf planet Pluto. That's like...not that long ago. I seriously thought Pluto was discovered way before that. 2005, Mike Brown discovers an object 27% greater than that of Pluto with an orbit around the sun. Pluto is now what we call a dwarf planet. A dwarf planet is just massive enough for it's shape to be controlled by gravitation and orbit the sun. Unlike a planet, a dwarf planet hasn't cleared it's orbital region of other objects. Other objects such as the one Mike Brown discovered perhaps? Eris. I don't know honestly, I just know that's the name of the dwarf planet found giving away Pluto. Ruining everything, like a total bitch. 

      According to Star (HA), the two - Pluto and Eris - are happy they've found one another. 

      If I got you into a science mood, I highly suggest YouTube-ing a bunch of BillNye, and if you have Netflix watch some Breaking Bad. 

14 comments:

  1. lol, I love bill nye. I didn't know exactly what the deal was with Pluto. I guess, it will in the future? do dwarf planets eventually become planets?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't believe so. :/
      Apparently Pluto hasn't made a full revolution around the sun since it was considered a planet. Wouldn't quote me on that fact though, heard it from a friend have yet to look into it.
      I love Bill Nye too. c:

      Delete
  2. TBH the only thing I'm upset for is Sailor Pluto.
    She always seems to get the short end of the stick...

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was sad growing up with it as a planet to find that I was in that generation of people who could say, "when I was your age, Pluto was a planet".... :\ Hahah. Oh well...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Poor Pluto - demoted!! I agree with Dana above here, I can say I was around when Pluto was a planet...how crazy!! So now the nifty saying to remember the planets doesn't work now, ha!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My son keeps asking me about Pluto. I'll never call it a moon or dwarf planet or whatever they're calling it now. It was a planet when I was a kid and it always will be and that is what I'm sticking with xD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, you go Jenny!!
      I've accepted the fact it's no longer part of the planets. Only because it's a dwarf planet, and that just sounds cute. c: Hehe.

      Delete
  6. Bill Nye is the best. He's always saying the most amazing things. Bummed about Pluto. It's a planet in my mind. I can't change it. LOL
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we're all on Pluto's side. XD
      Bill Nye is my home boy!

      Delete
  7. We just talked about this in Astronomy class, actually!!! My teacher was there at the conference that changed Pluto's fate, and was even given the opportunity to vote for Pluto either staying a planet or becoming a dwarf planet! Since then, they've discovered a lot of other dwarf planets, and Pluto is most definitely not alone! (It was hilarious, he also showed us a picture of a lady holding a stuffed Pluto dog, basically showing us that people are only upset because they are thinking of a cute dog instead of the actual dwarf planet.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your teacher had an awesome experience!!

      Delete