Saturday, April 12, 2014

Disney Princesses and independence

      I've heard plenty of controversy over Disney's princesses need for a man in their life and how it's wrong. A woman should have her independence and we should be teaching our children they don't need men. After putting some thought into this, I realized each princess does have her own independence.

Snow White
      Before biting a poison apple only a true love's kiss could cure, she was doing just fine. Taking care of seven dwarfs on her own and making friend with animals of the forest. No need for any man, and happier than ever. She even had fun baking them the dwarfs their own special pies with their names on them and cleaning before they arrived home. Typical house wife? Maybe. Keep in mind this was the 1930's. 

Cinderella
      Cinderella was a poor girl who had lost her father at a young age, and was stuck with an evil step mother. That didn't keep her spirits down. She had made friends with the pets, and even the mice! She enjoyed herself and her cleaning as it was an everyday thing. The birds came to wake her and she'd meet new mice friends as they got trapped. It was only until she had the privilege to attend a fancy ball and fell in love that she was able to escape the bitch of a step-mom's house and coincidentally happen to become a princess.

Ariel
      Ariel didn't need a man, she wanted legs. The man just happen to come along with the package. Thanks to the creature of the black lagoon who took her damn voice and made the deal to go find love in order to keep her legs. Therefore it wasn't really her fault she was dependent on Eric. She just luckily found him dreamy as well. 

Jasmine
      Jasmine damn well didn't want a man, and didn't need one. She ran away from the palace and found Aladdin along with love. In fact, she protested the fact of getting married before her next birthday. She was probably the most independent princess of them all. Very fierce attitude, I love her!!

Belle
      Belle comes in second place when it comes to most independent princess, aside Jasmine. She was hung up in her books and could care less about the "hunk" Gaston or anybody else who crossed her way. Of course, she was still a beautiful kind young lady. It wasn't until she was trapped into a dungeon with a huge mess of a spell that she found love...with a beast. Such a kind hearted girl.  


These are just a few examples. 
Who's your favorite Disney princess?





31 comments:

  1. I totally agree with you! great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoyed the post :) I love Belle the most.

    xx

    If you'd like to follow each other on GFC or anywhere else, do pop by my blog.
    My links are at the bottom of my page.
    I follow everyone back! Just let me know if you've followed. :)

    Sandy | SMXYC: Lifestyle, Beauty, Fashion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Belle is so innocent. c:
      I'd love to, will be popping by soon!!

      Delete
  3. Aww, how cute, love this post! I love belle! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you were a Disney princess you'd definitely be Belle, from what I know of you. Haha.

      Delete
  4. I love Belle <3 And you're right, they didn't needed a man first, its just that they are destined to be with them :)

    Visit my blog: www.sarahrizaga.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmm... I disagree. All of these princesses, no matter how independent at some point, fall into the cliche of being a classic damsel in distress. They all are rescued by and, oh so happily ever after, end up with the "hero". I love how in Hercules they poke fun at this and yet the fierce, fiery Meg still ends up getting the rubber stamp.

    Merida is the only Disney princess with true agency over herself - and she's not an original DP anyway.

    The message is, be pretty, cheerful, crafty and kind then one day a handsome rich man will marry you.

    Barf... All these princesses, who appear to be assertive, are no match for an attractive face and a muscular build.

    Did you ever see the original Little Mermaid? Scarred my childhood....

    Sorry to rain on the parade. I do actually have a lot of love and very fond memories of these movies - despite my cynicism.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see where you're coming from.
      The original little mermaid is horrifying!!

      Delete
  6. Ariel and Belle have always been my favorites! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're so sweet and innocent. c:

      Delete
  7. Yes! About time i read a post like this! It was really enjoyable to read! I love disney and I think you have great valid points.

    To be honest though I think people who look into topics like this really need to get a life. I can't believe people dwell on these fairy tale's which are for innocent children. I'm sure when these children grow up they'll know exactly what they want. Do you see a society today where women are dependent on men? No. I watched these movies everyday for years and they haven't affected me in any negative way and they certainly haven't made me feel like I "need" a man around to feel complete.

    People always find something to complain about. I just think its petty when they go as far to slag something off that brings so much joy to children. They should back off and get out more.

    Great post sweet. I love a good debate!

    Sammeh
    http://www.oddsandsodz.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me just point out I wasn't on about you needing to get a life. I was referring to the people who accuse Disney of making their princess's feel like they "need" a man. x

      Delete
    2. Haha, I know what you meant. XD
      I also agree with the reply. A fairy tale is something you know is only a false statement of reality growing up. Just like Barbie.

      Delete
  8. I like belle and ariel and cinderella. And the chick from Frozen :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Anna more than Elsa from Frozen!!

      Delete
  9. I grew up watching all of these movies plus many more Disney Princess movies and even though I loved Barbies, dresses, and anything girly when I was little as a woman I'm very independent and even somewhat of a feminist. More of a humanist really but that's beside the point. So these princesses may not be as independent as today's woman but people need to think about the time some of these movies came out, like Snow White. My personal favorite was/is Pocahontas. She didn't want to go on the path set out for her, she new she could do more and be more. She may have fallen for John Smith but she stayed behind (in the first movie and only one I'll watch) to be with her people. I always thought she was pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love Pocahontas! Was going to include her, should have. :/

      Delete
  10. I pretty much love this post......and absolutely love all the Disney princesses. My favorites are Belle and Cinderella as well as some of the more recent ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elizabeth! I love Belle and Cinderella too!
      Frozen wasn't a half bad movie, the newer princesses are starting to find a way into my heart too.

      Delete
  11. Excellent post! My favorite was always Belle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ida!
      Belle is such a sweet heart. c:

      Delete
  12. I absolutely love this! Complements my dating advice from disney princess post :) http://www.whisperingsweetly.com/2014/02/dating-advice-from-disney-princesses.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think your right!! I love the disney princesses & I doubt most would think of them in this way...although if they know the original stories for some of these, they know the original stories are far far worse than the Disney versions. I love Belle & Jasmine, they are two of my favourites as well :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Belle seems to the majority win, haha.
      Jasmine is so fierce, I love her!!

      Delete
  14. HAHAHA Harlynn! You're right! They didn't! I kept laughing while reading this. I love Belle. She's my favorite.
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Belle seems to be the majority win, haha.

      Delete