Friday, October 31, 2014

Meet Molly


      I got a text from the boyfriend saying he traded one of his reticulated pythons for a water monitor. Assuming it was for his aquarium, I found it rather silly of a trade. My next visit to his house I learned its in fact not an inanimate object, but an adorable living creature. 


      Molly is an Asian water monitor. Still a baby though, as she can grow anywhere from 5-9 feet. A common example of the monitor family is the Komodo dragon (which is illegal to own for obvious reasons). First meeting her I'll admit I was rather skiddish. No help from the boyfriend who tends to say the worst case scenario shortly before presenting any of his animals. After seeing her crane like neck peek up to look around I couldn't help but fall in love. 


      She likes to crawl around all over your body when holding her. I find it most comforting when she glides up my arm and sits around the back of my neck. The long blue split tongue isn't used to taste but actually smell. Tickles when she "licks" you. Her surprisingly tame attitude definitely helps the comfort factor. However, she could bite my finger off if she desired. You just have to know what alarms her (and avoid doing so), and let her know if she does what you want she gets freedom. She earned quite a lot as you can see her lounging on the bed with us. 


      My love seen above (Galactor the sulcata tortoise) had to get a selfie. We have our game faces on. He's such a cutie! 

6 comments:

  1. I think I'd prefer the water monitor to the python. I'm not a snake person, really. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're much smarter than snakes which makes it more comfortable to handle.

      Delete
  2. I'd perfer none of it. Gross.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure they'd think you're gross. So you're even.

      Delete
  3. It's quite ok. Not fond of animals like that. but it's fine. lmao

    ReplyDelete