Monday, October 20, 2014

Tortoise time


      After falling in love with my boyfriend's full grown tortoise, I couldn't resist the babies! Sundays I tend to join him while he works alone at a local reptile shop. 


      This guy may be little now, but he will grow to about 24-36 inches long and weigh 100-200 lbs. his particular breed (sulcata tortoise) grow very quickly, reaching 6-10 inches within the first few years of their lives. His diet includes greens, greens, and more greens. As you can see around his mouth (he's a messy little eater).

      Have you ever owned a non-mammal pet?

8 comments:

  1. Not really but this thing truly is cute! Just wouldn't want to deal with it once it's full grown. they get huge. I've seen one once it's full grown.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find them pretty cute full grown, haha.

      Delete
  2. Ohhhhhh he's so cute!!!! Matthew and I have considered getting a Sulcata! I love watching them eat...it's literally the cutest thing ever! Reptile pets are the best :) What's his name?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should!! They tend to run into walls with their shell once grown so a basement would be ideal in the future. I called him Phillips, haha. My boyfriends is Galactor.

      Delete
  3. OMG! So cute!!!!!
    I have owned a non-mammel, once!
    I caught a turtle actually! It was in the gutter in front of my parents' house and someone had chipped at his shell, and it looked like a "D" ... naturally, being in the gutter, and having a D on his shell he was named Donatello!

    Sadly, I couldn't keep him, so I gave him to my Biology teacher at the time. It was great cause I go to see him everyday of that school year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, that's such a cute story!! Too cool he had a "D" on him for Donatello!!

      Delete