Sunday, March 6, 2016

Why babies and silver are a dangerous mixture


      In a car seat commercial I overheard a woman say "you know you shouldn't have a baby touch silver?". What the shit kind of statement is this, and why is it that important to state in a 30 second commercial for car seats? It's complete irrelevant to the product and sounds bizarre. So, I googled that shit. 

      Colloidal silver can be used as an antibiotic. Before modern antibiotics, families with enough riches to afford silver realized it had health benefits. They would give their baby a silver spoon to suck on. That's where the insult "born with a silver spoon in your mouth" originated from. After modern antibiotics came into play, silver supplements started to disappear. Before completely disappearing we've found that over-exposure of silver or silver dust can cause argyria
      For example, the man that turned blue. Some dumbass self medicated for a skin condition using his homemade colloidal silver. After a decade his skin turned a blue-gray color. Most extreme symptom of argyria. 

      Babies are more at risk of any illness than an adult, or teen. No matter your riches, having your baby suck on a silver spoon probably isn't the best idea. However, it may be less risky of a way to get rid of an infection than over the counter medications. It's the little things.

      Is this a known fact, or is it also bizzare to you?

18 comments:

  1. I love this. That's so interesting, I never knew that about the origin of the silver spoon phrase.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know the phrase until googling 'baby's and silver' haha.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Glad to know I'm not alone on this!

      Delete
  3. I not only didn't know this, I assumed until this post was half finished that you were going to talk about some sort of superstition.

    Babies sound much too easy to break.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Babies are definitely too fragile. It's scary how little things (like a baby playing with your necklace) can create a horrid aftermath!

      Delete
    2. I know I'm a year late in replying, but I guess I just wanted to say that babies aren't that fragile. As a matter of fact, babies are pretty resilient. If they weren't, the human race world have never made it this far. There are many a baby that has survived the stupidity of their parents. Sure, there are horror stories, yet, that's out of 7 Billion babies/adults who are currently alive.

      Delete
  4. I knew about silver being used in the old days, silver isn't the greatest surface for germs to hang out.

    Didn't know about the poisonous part about it. I know lead is certainly not for our system

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's an unnecessary compound of silver that commonly creates argyria. That's also something I should have mentioned in the post..you really do know some nifty random facts! Haha.

      Delete
  5. Hey pretty lady! I just emailed you. You won my giveaway! Your email is through gmail and sometimes yahoo mail doesn't go through so I thought I'd stop by here.
    Please send me your mailing address to militarywifeandpuglife@yahoo.com

    So happy you won!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ermagoshhhh!! I'll check my email asap! My mums pups will be excited!

      Delete
  6. I love knowing where expression comes from! I'm not surprised about the health benefits and bad side-effects, though! A lot of random tricks like that worked miracles before we found out they also causes other problems. Though I agree... A baby sucking on a spoon might be a little less dangerous than pills.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some of the old school tricks seem to come in handy indeed. My family in Kentucky uses more old school techniques. My uncles going on 91!

      Delete
  7. I've seen this commercial so many times and finally decided to look it up!
    Another nifty remedy they used way back when Shakespeare was around was mercury to get rid of acne, blemishes, and freckles. In fact, women frequently used mercury for facial peels.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Google a little further and discover that much "silver" stuff may contain lead. It's not the silver that's the problem it's the lead, and as you can never be 100% sure (unless you're buyung sterling from a very reputable jeweler) that's the reason to keep it out of baby's mouth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was about to post the same thing Miss Zephyr did.

      Delete
  9. You know they put silver nitrite in babies eyes and sometimes their ears and mouth to keep out infections from the birth canal.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just seen that commercial, googled babies touching silver and this is where I ended up. Thanks Harlynn, after reading this I feel like the commercial is misleading and just touching silver would have zero effect but eating it would be harmful, which should be cowmmon sense.

    ReplyDelete