Friday, April 22, 2016

DIY munchkin Mother's Day gift

      

      Mother's Day is on it's way! As a child care provider, my favorite crafts to do with kids are gifts for the holidays. Currently I care for two toddler girls (ages 3 and 4). Thanks to Pinterest, I came across a tutorial for making plaques with foot or hand prints. No plaster needed! Here's how you can make a lovely, sturdy plaque using a simple salt dough. 

Ingredients 
- 1cup flour
- 1 cup salt
- 1/2 cup water

      Mix ingredients using a fork. Should be about the same consistency as PlayDough. 


      Mold into desired shape or use to create separate molds. I made one big mold.


      Have kids lightly press foot or hand into the dough. When writing I used a straight metal stick, poking not gliding the letters. 

Bake at 200•F for 3 hours
If you did one big mold like myself, you'll want to flip and bake an additional hour and a half or so. The bottom and middle front was still a bit soft. 


      Once it cooled off I used an acrylic pearl coat. Don't waste your time using a paint brush, Created thick streaks, so I switched to a sponge instead. 


      To finish it off, using a small brush I dabbed purple and pink acrylic paint so the writing was more visible. Optional, but suggested. 

      Voila! Can't wait to give to the girls mother! Check out DIYready for more Mother's Day gift tutorials. 

12 comments:

  1. This is absolutely adorable! Their mom will love it! So happy to see you posting again!

    Sending Love

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tracy! Happy to see you're still a reader. :)

      Delete
  2. That's so cute, I bet their mom will be so excited when she gets it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny enough my oven can't be set that low for some reason. It autos on 350 and goes up from there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The wife and I made one of these using our chihuahua's wee paw prints and we are not even ashamed to say that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's actually a really good idea!

      Delete
  5. That's really cute.

    Glad to see you posting, by the way. I stopped by here yesterday just to make sure I wasn't somehow missing posts.

    I grew impatient exactly one day before you posted!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great!
    Http://cazgreenham.blogspot.com
    #a2z chat

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is adorable! I wondered where you had been!!

    ReplyDelete