Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Do it like an Olympian

      Once upon a time I was a teen in track and field. Excellent sprinter since as long as I remember. Didn't find it fun at all, very intimidating. 
      What the hell is this concoction you call starting blocks? Does it really matter what hand I hold the baton in for a relay? Why are the starting lines on an angle? I failed math. 
      One of my first races was a relay. Three bitches take off before I get the baton. Pass them all up, hand my partner the baton. Awkwardly. Resulting in a face plant to the track with a tad momentum still in me. 

 

We were disqualified. 
Because the baton was in the wrong hand. 

      Never understood why it wasn't because of my fall. Apparently as long as your torso or lower half is past the line...you successfully finish. Didn't look as bad ass as Allyson Felix. At all. It was pretty horrible. But if you're gonna do it, do it like an Olympian. 

8 comments:

  1. That's still way more glorious than any moment in sports that I've ever experienced.

    You know you can run fast, even if few other people in the world know it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nasreen. Was quite embarrassing but thanks to Felix, I can try sounding bad ass. Haha

      Delete
  2. I agree with Nasreen. I think its pretty badass that you were an excellent sprinter. All the other stuff would make me nervous too. Starting blocks, batons...who needs 'em? Just slap hands or something.

    Hope you're having a great summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The whole "hold the baton in this hand" I felt was bullshit. Nooooow I know why it's a rule haha. And thank you!

      Delete
  3. As if running wasn't already awful enough, there are also RULES? Ugh, that's just the worst. You were a real trooper for putting up with it. Oh well, back to my *NO RULES* mobility scooter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just knew there's a starting line, a gunshot, and I run to the finish line. Lol

      Delete
  4. Once I was a rider, in high school...wanted to show so badly, parents would;t support, still hurts.......we needed our parents :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Growing up a parents support means everything. Accomplishing something on your own is a whole different amazing feeling. You'll surprise yourself, and them!

      Delete